Ladies History

Extracted from the Ladies Section 75th Anniversary Booklet.
With grateful thanks to Mae McLean and Christine Woolley.

1925 – 1950

1925
Eleven years after Cardonald Bowling Club was formed, a meeting of 30 ladies interested in forming a ‘Ladies Section’ was held in the clubhouse on Wed 6th May.
Mrs. J.G. Thomson was elected as the first Lady President along with 2 members of committee.
A cup was presented by Lady Lobnitz for a ‘Pairs Competition’ which was changed in 1928 to a ‘Singles Competition’.

1926
Two Inter Club matches organised. One with ‘Anchor’ which is still played today and the other with ‘Craigton’ a club which no longer exists. Other matches soon followed with ladies travelling as far afield as Ayr, Beith, Blantyre, Burnside, Giffnock and Kilmacolm.

1933
Joined the newly formed ‘East Renfrewshire Ladies Bowling Association’. Played in the ‘MacRobert Trophy’.

1935
Membership now reached 52. Hosted a game between ‘English Women’s Bowling Association’ and the ‘Scottish Women’s Bowling Association’. Scotland LOST by 40 shots.!!
Entered the ‘S.W.B.A.’ Singles, Pairs and Rinks competition.
The ‘Pairs’ was won by Mrs. Cowan and Mrs. Simpson for Cardonald which also became the first name on the cup.
Although it states that this was a ‘Scottish Women’s Bowling Association’ competition, this was actually the ‘Scottish Women’s Bowling Association (Western Section)’ which later became the ‘West of Scotland Women’s Bowling Association’.

1937
Won the ‘Elderpark Cup’ and the East Renfrewshire ‘MacRobert Trophy’. Received £2.2/- for winning the ‘MacRobert Trophy’ and this was used to purchase and donate a seat to the club.

1938
Mrs. Penman – President of the S.W.B.A.(Western Section)

1939
First international representative ‘ Mrs. Penman’ chosen to play for Scotland in London. Scotland WON.!! WW II – During the war years, the ladies raised money for many war related charities.

1945
Mrs. Mitchell – President of the East Renfrewshire Ladies Bowling Association

1946
Special game organised on the 16th September – Charge 1/6d in aid of the ‘Lawnmower Fund’.

1947
Inter club games restarted.

1950
Mrs. Hall – President of the East Renfrewshire Ladies Bowling Association.
A notice board in memory of Mrs. Penman who died in 1945 was unveiled – members and visitors attended the ceremony.
There do not appear to have been any special celebrations to mark the first 25 years of the Ladies Section.

( top ) ( next )

Leave a Reply