FORMATION OF THE CLUB ( continued )
The following is an extract of a letter dated 22nd September 1913 from the Scotstoun Estate Building Company which was sent to the acting secretary Mr. R.J. McLeod.
Referring to our recent meeting with you and Mr. W.H. Sinclair, when we had pleasure in giving you certain particulars of bowling green presently under construction. We are gratified to know of the interest created throughout the district in the new green, and we are glad to learn that a public meeting is being called, at which we hope that a committee will be appointed with a view to forming a bowling Club.
The possibility of extension later on has been foreseen by the plan providing ground for a second green if required.
On a committee being formed, we will be pleased to arrange to meet members thereof when we will be glad to go into the terms, on which Club could take over greens from us.
SCOTSTOUN ESTATE BUILDING CO.
W. Talbot Crosbie Manager
As a result of this letter, bills were posted in Cardonald & District and a public meeting was called.
This meeting was held in Cardonald Public School on Friday 26th September 1913 at 8pm. 36 gentlemen attended and they discussed the letter and memorandum which showed the probable annual cost of running a ‘Bowling Club’ on the green which was presently being formed in Roxburgh Circus (now Berwick Drive )
The meeting agreed to send a deputation to the Scotstoun Estate Building Company in order to acquire further information and on the 16th October 1913 a second public meeting was held at which the Chairman Mr. W.H Sinclair reported back from his discussions with Mr. Crosbie.
He informed those gathered that the green was being laid using Cumberland Turf and that the superior of the ground was Mr. W. A. Baird of Erskine and Lennoxlove.
Mr W. Dykes Brown moved and Mr W. Baillie seconded, that ‘we form ourselves into a ‘Bowling Club’ and this motion was carried without amendment. A show of hands was asked for those willing to become members and all but two of those present agreed.
Mr. W.H. Sinclair was appointed as the Club’s first ‘President’ and Mr. R.J. McLeod as ‘Secretary’.
A minute from the ‘Bowling Club Committee’ meeting held immediately after the conclusion of the public meeting requested a further meeting with Mr. Crosbie as well as the engineers for Mr Baird to discuss the position of the proposed second green and the Clubhouse. The result of that meeting with the engineers Kyle & Frew indicated the position of the ground for the second green and stated that the intention was to raise the level of that ground to practically the same as the green already under construction.
After further meetings with Mr. Crosbie, the sub committee recommended that a 5 year lease be entered into at an annual rent of £27.
This was subject to previous discussions granting the Club relief from rent charges in the event of it being unable to meet such payments.
At the end of January 1914 the Secretary submitted the proposed constitution and rules which were amended and improved.
It was decided to add a rule regarding excisable liquors with the stipulation that no member should be supplied with same unless taking part in a representative match and also that no liquor should be kept in the Clubhouse between matches.
The Secretary was asked to prepare a draft of Bye Laws for the Green and to place an advert in the ‘Citizen’ newspaper for an experienced greenkeeper at a wage of 28/- shillings weekly. He was also instructed to ask Mr Baird if he would accept his nomination as Honorary President. Mr. Talbot Crosbie and Mr. Fred Lobnitz were also invited to allow their nominations as Honorary Vice-Presidents.
Fred Lobnitz was a partner in the family shipbuilding business of Lobnitz & Co in Renfrew and his tireless efforts in promoting munitions production during the First World War earned him a knighthood in 1920 as well as the Legion of Honour from a grateful French Republic.
( top ) ( previous ) ( next )