By 1924 a contract worth £825-12-3 was agreed with J & D Provan to build the new second South green.
1925 saw the formation of the ‘Ladies Section’ and they were granted use of the greens for 2 days in each week between the hours of 2pm – 5pm.
The annual subscription was agreed at 10/-
They had a highly successfully first year and contributed greatly by gifting £130 to the Club.
SECOND GREEN OFFICIAL OPENING
Opening day 1925 saw the official opening of the new green by Lady Lobnitz while Sir Fred unfurled the flag. The old green was opened as usual by the President’s wife. This was also the year we joined the Glasgow Bowling Association.
By 1927 the membership total was 112 plus 49 Ladies.
4 teams took part in the Ayrshire and Lanarkshire Games for the first time.
14 tons of sand were delivered to Crookston station which had to be uplifted and the annual presentation of prizes was held in the Ca’ D’Oro Building for the first time.
In 1929 the Club received a request from the Secretary of Ayr United Supporters’ Club asking the Club to hold a rinks competition for which the Supporters’ Club would present prizes and the proceeds of which would go to a fund to help provide a covered terrace for Ayr United F.C. ! This request was turned down.
Eight 60 watt lamps were installed in the Clubhouse in 1932, a year which was sadly marked by the death of Sir Fred Lobnitz in December. Just a few months later in June 1933 Mr W.A Baird also passed away.
The Club is indebted to both of these notable gentlemen.
In 1934, Mr. W. Talbot Crosbie who had been Hon.Vice-President of the Club since its formation in 1914, became Hon.President and was to hold that position for the next 34 years.
It was also decided to limit the Club membership to 140 and by April 1936 there was a waiting list.
The Glasgow v Edinburgh match in the Empire Exhibition Cup Competition was played on our greens on the 15th June 1938.
That same year saw our first internationalist from the gents section, Mr. J. B. McAlpine.
He was congratulated on representing Scotland in the pairs competition at the 1938 Sydney NSW Empire Games.
SECOND WORLD WAR
Late September of 1939 brought about the start of the Second World War and catering at the Club was dispensed with due to rationing difficulties.
Blackout shutters were fitted and fire watching duties were established. A stirrup pump and 2 fire pails were purchased to this end.
It was agreed that Aggregate, Friday and inter Club matches would cease in the event of any air raid siren.
PURCHASE OF VACANT GROUND
The Club also agreed payment with Newbyth Estates of £288-13-9 plus an annual feu of £5 to lease the vacant ground between Berwick Dr and Cardonald Place Road which now forms our car park.
This land was eventually purchased outright in 1989 for £500 plus £172.50 (Legal fees). The Club’s lawyers had expected the asking price to be nearer £5000!
At a ‘Special Meeting’ of Council in 1941 it was unanimously agreed that no catering apart from Bovril, lemonade and biscuits would be provided for the forthcoming Glasgow Cup, Renshaw Cup and Renfrewshire Cup matches.
( top ) ( previous ) ( next )