It was also mentioned that Mr. Logan ( Halfway ) who had carted the piano on several occasions for use on ‘Soldiers’ Days’ had refused to accept any payment for his services.
On account of existing food regulations preventing tea being served, it was decided that only fruit and sweets be served at this year’s presentation of prizes.
War Funds subscriptions this year were donated to Ralston Home for Paralysed Soldiers.
1919 saw the signing of the ‘Treaty of Versailles’ which ended the state of war between Germany and the allied powers.
Sadly one of our sixty members who served during that dreadful conflict failed to return and another eight members also lost their sons.
A War Memorial commemorating those Club members and their sons who served and died in the ‘Great War’ was erected in the Clubhouse in 1921.
A ‘Victory Cup’ was donated with the wish that a ‘Pairs Competition’ should be arranged annually and it was suggested that the final be arranged for the Saturday nearest to ‘Glasgow Peace Day, viz: August 4th. This cup is still presented to the winners of our ‘Balloted Pairs’ competition.
A proposal to join the ‘Scottish Bowling Association’ was also agreed.
The membership total at this time was 96.
PURCHASE OF THE CLUB
In February 1920 the Club received a letter from the proprietor Mr. Baird proposing that the Club should purchase the green and Clubhouse for the sum of £900.
The general feeling was that this price was too high and that a figure of £500 was more realistic.
Numerous discussions took place and in fact at the AGM of March 1920 the whole idea of purchase was rejected. Another motion ‘to remit the whole matter to the Directors to consider and report to the members at a later date, if the green could be purchased at a figure not exceeding £500, payable say over a period of years’, was also rejected.
However at a meeting of the Directors in September there appeared to be a bit of an about turn on the subject of purchase or tenancy of the green. It was now considered to be more economical and in the Club’s interest to purchase the property and it was agreed to recommend this to a special meeting.
That same month a Special General Meeting was duly held at which the attendance was 56.
After general discussion, Mr. Cossar moved that the Club decide to buy in accordance with the offer at a sum not exceeding £700 and themotion was carried unanimously.
Mr. Cossar also proposed that each member must become a holder of at least one share of £1 bearing interest of 5% per annum.
By the time of the eighth A.G.M. in March 1921, 66 replies had been received, representing the sum of £425.
President McLeod read the correspondence between the Club and Mr. Baird, the proprietor, in which he referred to the additional ground to the South West, sufficient for another green and which was included in the price of £700, and congratulated the Club on obtaining the ground and property at such a modest figure.
The Constitution was amended accordingly and stated:
1) The capital of the Club shall be £700 in £1 shares.
2) Interest at the rate of 5% per annum shall be payable to all shareholders.
It was May 1921 before the formalities were completed and the Club was finally owned by the members.
In a sign of the times it was agreed that ‘flue dust,’ which could be procured free of cost, be used instead of sand.
A suggestion to build a putting green on the new ground recently acquired by the Club failed to excite much enthusiasm and was dropped meantime.
Over the next few years a gas fire was fitted in the Committee room and a gas cooker in the tool house.
In another event, the Secretary explained that the contractors Messrs Stutt who were working on the green had NOT taken any turf from the Bowling Club Property. The offenders were private householders from the adjacent properties.!
It was decided to have a notice board (No Trespassing) and fence erected as quickly as possible.
Card playing’ in the ‘Clubhouse’ during the bowling season, which was not in accordance with the Club’s bye laws, was the subject of a lengthy discourse and was deplored due to the alleged injurious effect it was having on the welfare of the Club.
( top ) ( previous ) ( next )