NEW CLUBHOUSE ( continued )
Unfortunately there were further severe problems with water ingress from the roof, and following a long period of arbitration, a new roof and ceilings were fitted in March 1958.
Furnishing the new clubhouse was greatly helped by the efforts of the ‘Ladies Section’ who had raised money by running whist drives, bridge nights and other events for their special building fund.
In the midst of all this upheaval we won the famous ‘Ayrshire’ Eglinton Jug for the first time in 1953.
It was to be another 54 years before we repeated the feat in 2007.
A proposal for Sunday play defeated by 70 – 13 in 1955.
At an EGM in 1963 a vote for a full bar licence was passed by 85 votes to 20. The loans were all repaid a few years later and the bar was opened on opening day 1965 with the recommendation that whisky be sold from the Bar at 44/- a bottle or 24/- a half bottle. A new floor in the Concert Hall meant having to raise its height by two inches.
A discordant note appeared in the Club’s history in 1969 when the ‘Championship board shows ‘ Not played’.
This happened when the match committee at that time failed to agree a date with the two finalists George Fisher and John Marshall as to when the final should be played.
The circumstances which led to this impasse were that a fours team consisting of Jimmy Mess, Charlie Robertson, Willie Allen and George Fisher had just won the Scottish title and were thus qualified to play in the British Isles Championships.
George Fisher refused to get involved in a singles final while he was still taking part in the British Isles competition.
John Marshall felt that failure to play the Club Championship would exclude him from the possibility of future selection and also the opportunity to play in the G.B.A. singles championship.
Various emergency meetings were held and the dispute was unable to be resolved. In an effort to get satisfaction, Mr Marshall raised a legal action against the Club.
The sheriff, in his judgement which extended to 17 pages, found in favour of the Club and Mr. Marshall was found liable for the Club’s expenses in defending the action.
George Fisher resigned from the Club in the same year and John Marshall subsequently resigned in 1971.
The tennis Club next door to us was demolished in 1975 and although our Club had the opportunity to purchase the ground, we declined and the ground later became a ‘Home for the Elderly’.
The Willie Milne tournament was inaugurated in 1979 and we won the R.B.A. Centenary Cup.
( top ) ( previous ) ( next )